Anyway, I digress. For the purposes of this blog, this is what I bought:
Top left, unit skirmish bases for 2p based troops (which I inserted for this shot, not more troop purchases) from Warbases;
top right - Conquest Norman Knights box, which will be mixed with upper bodies from Saxon Thegns to make two units of mounted Hearthguard;
upper middle, going across the shot - log fort from the square;
left middle - two packs of logs from the square;
right middle - Maredudd ab Owain from Gripping beast;
left bottom - pack of oval cavalry bases and 60mm round bases from Warbases;
Centre bottom - some very cheap (£2.50 a sheet) tufts from Gamer's grass;
Centre bottom - welsh banner and shield designs from Little Big men;
Bottom right - Welsh SAGA dice from Gripping beast.
So on to what I've been doing. Another unit of Priodaur (Warriors) and the first unit of Teulu (Hearthguard) were assembled in short order, sprayed with Halford's grey, then a light overhead spray of white for a cheap zenithal highlighting effect.
I set about painting the Warriors first, using more Browns than before.
I sort of had it in my head that the Teulu could double as Hearthguard in another army, so I decided to keep their shields as simple geometric patterns without too much widdliness.
Next, I highlit the clothes with white, then ink washed. Added faces and hair. Painted javelins and metals. More work on the shields.
Did some basic work on the Hearthguard as I was doing the Warriors, testing out the skirmish bases. Decided to do the skirmish bases when I do the bases for these troops.